October 12, 2013 minutes
In the absence of Secretary Rick Malley, compatriot and new Sgt. At Arms Lane Redwine was gracious enough to record the minutes from the October 12, 2013 meeting. They are as follows:
Pres. Ray DeVries: Greetings and opening stories
Tom Northen: Pleadge to flags
Chaplain Mike: Opening prayer
Lane: Announce guests
We were all excited to have Compatriot Harlan Green and his wife join us. Harlan explained the details of the medical condition he has been fighting. His wife warned us against letting your doctor make all the decisions and urged everyone to make use of the internet to research your own illness.
Pres. Ray DeVries announced Lane Redwine as the new Sgt at Arms
Suggested changes to the last Minutes: Chaplain Mike said that in the last Minutes he was erroneously credited with something other than offering the prayer.
Treasurer Freeman: We have $2,073.63 in the bank.
Membership growth: Two applications are in the works
Color Guard activities:
9/12 Pres. Ray D and Jim Scott participated in an event in Sun City hosted by Livingston DAR. Speaker was State Rep. Marsha Varney
9/13 Alexander Hamilton and Patrick Henry combined color guard attended a citizenship ceremony where 770 persons received their citizenship
9/21 Members of the Alexander Hamilton and Patrick Henry color guards attended the Constitution Day Luncheon hosted by the DAR. Color Guard was led by Marvin Morgan of Patrick Henry.
Special Project: The President of the TXSSAR asked our chapter to be lookout for a place of business that regularly flies the American flag in according to regulations and then give them an award. This will be an ongoing project.
Pres. Ray recently attended a DAR event honoring a “Code Talker” from WWII.
November Meeting: Speaker will be Chaplain Mike Nichols. He will give us an interesting presentation on the Pilgrims. Mike is a member of The Mayflower Society.
December Meeting: Compatriot Marvin Morgan of Patrick Henry will speak on the topic of the uniforms that the Color Guard wears. There will be a buffet at Mel’s and the cost will be $16 per person. The deadline for confirming your attendance is Nov 22nd. The meal will include the following: chick breast, green beans, salad and Christmas cookies. Members will bring some of the items for the buffet. We must have at least 25 persons confirm in order to do this. Spouses are welcome.
--- Lunch was served ---
Guest speaker was Cindy Blankenship, President of the Williamson County “Blue Star Mothers” organization that supports our veterans. They participate in such programs as:
· Stand Down project to serve homeless vets
· Host “yellow ribbon” events for guard families both before deployments and upon return
· In conjunction with Round Rock High students, send care packages to troops abroad
· Works with “Heroes Night Out” at Twin Lakes Fellowship in Cedar Park, to provide vet to vet counseling, resume writing, job forums, help with VA loans, help getting VA benefits
· ***They are currently seeking donations for wreaths to lay on the graves of the soldiers at the Central Texas Veterans Cemetery. Only $15 for a wreath. Can be reached at 254.289.7590 or at firstname.lastname@example.org Make checks payable to Wilco Blue Star Mothers