SAR Joseph S. Rumbaugh Historical Oration Contest & Scholarship
The SAR awards the Joseph S. Rumbaugh Historical Oration Scholarship:
- To support historical research in our high schools by promoting oratorical presentations related to our Revolutionary War period 1750-1800.
- To emphasize American History to the high school student and focus on and intelligent relationship between the past and the present.
- To place a positive emphasis on the plans of our founding fathers.
Ronald K. "Ron" Carter
Open to all (male and female) Texas public, private and home-schooled High School freshmen through seniors.
The Arlington chapter is in Texas SAR Oration Contest Region 3. Entries must originate through a local chapter!
Preparations are due in early September to the local Chapter, please contact the Chapter Chairman as needed.
See the below Texas SAR link for more scheduling information.
Each contestant can choose their own subject centered on pre, during, or post Revolutionary War subject material.
Speech must be at least 5 minutes but not longer than 6 minutes.
- Our Chapter winner will advance to compete at the Texas State Society Conference. Chapter decisions are final.
(At this point, a Texas SAR Permission/Release form is required)
- The Texas State Society Conference winners will receive:
- 1st Place – $2,500 and will advance to compete at the National level.
- 2nd Place – $750
- 3rd Place – $500
- 4rd Place – $300
- 5th & 6th Place – $150 each
- The National Society winners will receive:
- 1st Place – $4,000
- 2nd Place – $2,000
- 3rd Place – $1,000
- All Finalists – $300
- All Contestants – $200
SAR Links To More Information
Example Past Winning SAR Orations