"Long before the Revolution a man named Beal settled along what became the County Line (Abbeville-Edgefield) road, below the original Ninety Six. Nothing is known of Beal and his family, except one son, William Beal, captain in the American Revolution army and referred to by Dr. John Henry Logan, historian, as 'the well known scout of the Revolution'. In the manuscript notes of Dr. Logan's uncompleted second volume of his history, there are several stories of Captain Beal's encounters with Tories around Ninety Six.
According to one story, 'Bloody Bill' Cunningham and his Tory band came to the Beal home and demanded of Mrs. Beal (Captain Beal's mother) money and any other valuables on the premises. She surrendered everything, but Cunningham contended that she was holding back something. She denied it, and Cunningham struck her with his sword, inflicting a deep cut on her arm. When Captain Beal learned of his mother's injury, he sought revenge and soon encountered Cunningham somewhere along Wilson's Creek. Beal, on horseback, dashed forward, and Cunningham put spurs to his horse, then checked his mount and fired his pistol, killing Beal's horse. Beal extricated himself and drew his pistol, daring Cunningham to come nearer, but Cunningham galloped away. Beal was quoted as saying he could have shot Cunningham, but wanted to put him to death with his sword."
"Greenwood County Sketches", Margaret Watson
Nash Glidewell, private in Captain Thomas Thweattís Company 14th. Virginia Regiment, subsequently designated 10th. Virginia Regiment commanded by Col. William Davis. Enlisted February 14th. 1778 for one year. In July 1778 he was transferred to Captain John Markís company and was reported on the muster list for June, July and August 1778. Listed as sick at Valley Forge, and was transferred to Major Cabellís company, same regiment, and was reported on muster rolls from September 1778 to January 1779.
He was also reported sick at French Creek.
James Nelson, Sr., son of Dr. John and Hannah (Younglove) Nelson, was born 15 April 1732 in Suffield, Hampshire County, MA (now located in Hartford Co. CT). He was baptized the next day by Rev. Ebenezer Devotion (pastor of the Suffield Congregational Church 1710-1741). It is possible that he had a twin brother, Jonas, who was born 13 April 1732, according to the Suffield Vital Records, but of him no further record has been found. Possibly he died before he had a chance to be baptized.
James Nelson, now of Simsbury, and Ruth Stevenson were married at Westfield, Hampshire Co., MA Oct. 13, 1756.
James was a soldier under General Lyman 1762. Their four known children were all baptized in Westfield 1764 through 1772. Their son James Jr. was baptized in the home of their friend and neighbor Silas Fowler on 16 July 1769.
James and Ruth resided in Westfield through about 1773, when they moved to Southwick. They joined the Southwick Congregational Church 20 February 1774, and participated in establishing the town.
Southwick answered the call from Lexington (Paul Revereís alarm of April 19th) with a Company of 25 men (including James Nelson & his father-in-law John Stevenson) -"Minute Men" - who were enrolled on Apr 21, 1775, Captain Silas Fowler commanding. They set out for Roxbury MA, arriving April 29, assigned to a regiment under Capt. Danielson, with Lt. Col. Shephard of Westfield second in command. They all served at least 8 days, some 18, all privates. They fought in the Battle of Bunker Hill 17 July 1755. John Stephenson, Jr. is also listed as one of the men from Southwick who served in the Revolutionary War4.
James was also reported in Capt. Lebbeud Ballís Company, Col. Timothy Danielsonís Regiment. He is shown on a muster roll dated August 1, 1775. Other records report him enlisted 29 April 1775, with service 3 months and 10 days. He is shown on a Company return dated Camp at Roxbury October 6, 1775. General George Washington took command of the New England army at Cambridge MA on 3 July 1775.
James and Ruth moved into the newly established town of Sandisfield, Berkshire County, sometime after the 1790 Federal Census and before 1798, when the Berkshire County Tax records show James owning 40 perches of land and one dwelling.
It is not known when or where James died. He appears to be listed in the 1800 Federal Census of Sandisfield MA. His son, James Jr., left Berkshire County about 1804 (he sold property) and moved to the state of New York, where he was censused in 1810 along with his children and an older woman who may be his mother.
John Wall, Sr. stayed on the New River and bought more land on the Eastern edge. He had a tract surveyed in 1791, which joined James Bane. In 1799 he added 500 acres adjoining his own lands and those of John Preston, John Snavells, the Price's and Adam (his brother) Wall. (Montgomery County Survey Book E, pgs. 53, 411).
On June 14, 1782, he made satisfactory proof to Montgomery County Court that he should be paid 30 pds for a sorrel mare about 14 and l/2 hands high, six years old, being on duty as a guard from the Lead Mines with two wagon loads of lead for the use of the southern army after General Gates defeat, by order of Colonel Preston. (Summers, Annals, pg. 774).
The appraisal of his estate was done on 5/30/1827. William Pepper, Adam Price
and John Shell were the appraisers. In this record he is called John Wall, Sr.,
because by this time there was another John in the community. The lands were
sold to: Jacob Price, Henry Price and John Long. (Montgomery County Deed Book
L. pgs. 457, 465, 468).
source: "Early Adventurers of the Western Waters" by Mary B. Kegley.