New members are always welcome. Simply stated, prospective members must submit their application with sufficient lineage evidence as to satisfy the state and national registrar. We encourage you to pursue this process and become our fellow compatriot. For more information, check out the National SAR website and use their Membership tab for Getting Started, The Process details, etc!
Since the SAR was established in 1889, many compatriots have already undergone this application process. Their lineage to their patriot ancestors has been recorded in the National SAR database. Many times a prospective member can save time and effort by seeking and using a compatriot's Record Copy from the national library. Otherwise, proof of your patriot's service is required. The National SAR "Patriot Search" tab is very helpful, but membership sign-in is required. Contact our chapter Registrar for assistance!
Candidates are encouraged to view a National Past President's video message.
Our Texas Society, Sons of the American Revolution, also has much information available at their Texas SAR website. Use their "About Texas SAR" tab to find several links to Officers, Committees, Interested in Joining, History, Fees, Constitution, Bylaws, etc! And use their "Joining Info" tab for more information.
Steps to get started:
- Contact the chapter Registrar early in the process, introduce yourself for instructions and questions, and let him assist with your application preparation. Phone and eMail are acceptable.
- See our Home page for our Open Meeting Schedule. Come to our open meetings to meet the registrar and other compatriots.
- If needed, download the free Adobe Reader to edit your application. Take care with the optional offers as they are not required to complete your application.
- Save this Blank Application and Instructions to your hard drive. Use them as your worksheet while gathering your family lineage, sources and patriot service information.
- Refer to the National SAR Genealogy Policies and Application Preparation Manuals as needed.
- Please don't get overwhelmed with the process as the chapter Registrar is there to assist! He can assist you to get down the right path towards membership!
- If you're referred by a DAR member, then don't forget the DAR Finder Form to give them their due credit.